Are you looking to sell your home? Preparing your home for viewers is important. It will not only ensure your property is sold faster, but can potentially add thousands of pounds to its value. In these difficult financial times, it may be difficult to make this kind of investment but by doing it can mean the difference between reducing your asking price or achieving it.
Whilst we do not encourage radical makeovers, below, we set out some of our tips for leaving a positive impression on viewers.
· Get rid of all the excess stuff that has accumulated in every nook and cranny. Put it in , sell it at auction or give it away
· People want to be able to envisage what the property would look like if they were living there so make it easy for them to see all the available living space
· Don’t make it look like show home however; leave some personality. It gives unimaginative buyers suggestions as to what they might do and some mistrust too much perfection.
· Consider removing any bulky furniture that makes the room feel small and replacing it with smaller furniture
· Make spare rooms into something functional; an office space for example
· If you have young children, tidying away toys is really important
· It is easy to overlook the fact that the décor is looking a little tired but this is one of the first things potential buyers will notice when viewing the property
· Giving your walls a fresh lick of neutral paint will make your home seem lighter and bigger
· It will enable the viewers to more easily imagine how they would adapt the rooms to their needs
· It will be easier for the buyers to move in and use the rooms immediately than if the walls were still a bright colour
· Create a good first impression – give the front door a new coat of brightly coloured paint
· Make any minor repairs necessary – broken door knobs, missing handles, cracked tiles or threadbare carpets. Many buyers want to move in without making changes, so allow for this
· Clean until it sparkles. Get rid of limescale, clean and repair tile grout, polish wooden floors, get rid of all odours, hang up fresh towels. This will make the place more appealing and allow viewers to imagine living there
· Tidy up the garden: cut bushes back, clean the patio and furniture of lichen and dirt, and cut the grass. While this doesn’t add much value to your home it makes it more likely to sell as people visualise themselves using the garden
· The kitchen is the most valuable room in a house. It can make the difference when buyers are unsure
· Consider refacing your kitchen cabinets with something more up to date. This is much cheaper than installing new cabinets and often as effective
· Upgrading kitchen counter tops is expensive, but can add serious value
· Declutter the surfaces and just leave a bowl of fruit out. Take out any bulky appliances
· Making the property feel light and airy makes rooms feel bigger and more appealing
· Wall mirrors make a room look much bigger and lighter. Consider putting some up, especially in smaller rooms or hallways
· Clean windows inside and out
· Replace any broken light bulbs
· Ensure that you have lamps on in any dark corners
· If it’s cold or even chilly, light your fire. This will make your home feel warm and inviting. If you don’t have a fire then ensure the fireplace is clean
· Make sure the windows are properly dressed with blinds or curtains as naked windows make a place feel impersonal and run down
· Plants and flowers bring colour, life and light to a room and also smell wonderful. So does that fruit bowl on your kitchen counter
· Invest in stylish soft furnishings such as throws, candles and rugs. Using an accent colour like a deep blue or fresh green to re-furnish can enhance your home for all the right reasons and leave a positive lasting impression
· Studies have shown that bad smells are the single biggest turn off for prospective buyers. Don’t just cover them up, fix the source of the smell whether that be drains, bins, furniture embedded with cigarette smoke or dirty bed sheets
· If you are a smoker, take steps to remove any stale cigarette smell
· Good smells can make a property feel like an alluring home. While it might be impractical to bake fresh bread, cakes or brownies for every viewer that visits your home, you could perhaps brew some fresh coffee
Finally, remember, when potential buyers come to view your property, let them wander freely around the house with the agent or by themselves. You want them to feel comfortable and they want to envisage living in your house as their home. Don’t be offended if they do not like aspects of the property – that is perfectly normal.
These are just a few things that can be undertaken to enhance the sale of your home. Naturally, our agency teams would be delighted to advise you further on what can be done to enhance your property prior to marketing.