The Old Vicarage is an extremely attractive Grade II listed village house approached through stone pillars, which lead to the front of the property, where there is ample parking. The property is well positioned and tucked away behind its attractive stone walls within the village and benefits from great privacy by way of the enclosed gardens.
This impressive house is on a manageable scale, with well-proportioned rooms that lend themselves perfectly to modern family living.
The house was one of three substantial houses built in the village between 1799 and 1848. The house was sold to the church in 1954 when it became a vicarage for a second time, until the 1990's when it returned to private ownership.
On entering, you are immediately struck by the property’s charm and character. The reception hall is warm and inviting, with its high ceilings, stone skirtings and grand staircase.
The principal reception rooms are accessed from the reception hall, including an impressive formal drawing room with dual aspect sash windows and open fireplace. The dining room too has an open fireplace and leads through to the kitchen/breakfast room, home to an AGA positioned within an inglenook. The bespoke kitchen has a range of cupboards and work surfaces and there is a comfortable breakfast area ideal for informal dining. Adjoining the kitchen is a walk-in pantry providing useful extra space for storage and appliances. Beyond the kitchen is a large stone-flagged boot room with doors leading to both the courtyard and the garden. Also, on the ground floor is the cosy snug which has the benefit of a log burning stove, a utility laundry room with door leading to the garden and a family bathroom with separate shower.
The impressive proportions continue to the first floor via the original wide staircase where you will find an attractive landing with a large sash window flooding it with natural light.
The elegant master suite has a fireplace, dressing room, shower room and separate WC. There are four further double bedrooms, one with a Jack & Jill en-suite shower room which adjoins the landing.
The Coach House
This attractive natural stone building has open plan living, with kitchen and shower room on the lower living level and a bedroom accessed by stairs to the mezzanine. It benefits from having a small, screened, courtyard garden. The coach house has previously been rented out, providing a good rental yield.
The gardens comprise a walled area to the side of the house, enclosing a south west facing, level lawn, with traditional borders and a sitting area under a pergola. To the rear of the house is a vegetable garden with original raised beds, accessed via a cobbled courtyard. To the front there is ample parking and space to create garaging if desired.
Chewton Mendip is located in the picturesque Mendip Hills well-known for its beautiful landscape, stone walls, caves and unspoilt villages. The village enjoys a strong community and boasts a good range of facilities including an excellent primary school, pre-school, village shop, village hall, church and public house.
The local secondary school is the very popular Blue School in Wells and a bus to the school leaves each day from the village. Most private schools in the area also provide transport.
Public transport routes to and from the village are excellent, with services to Bristol, Bath and Wells.
The Cathedral City of Wells is six miles to the South and offers further facilities, including a twice weekly farmers market. The regional centre of Bristol is 14 miles to the north, whilst the Heritage City of Bath is 14 miles to the north east. Both offer a wide range of shopping, leisure and educational facilities. High speed rail services to London Paddington are available from Bristol and Bath, and Bristol International Airport is 12 miles away.
Babington private members club is a short drive from the property.
On entering the village of Chewton Mendip heading towards Bristol the property can be found on the left hand side before the school.
Mains water, drainage. Oil fired central heating. Gas to The Coach House
Mendip District Council Telephone 0300 303 8588.
Strictly by appointment with the Vendors agent Killens 01749 671172
Fixtures and fittings
All those items usually regarded as retained to the vendors are specifically reserved out of the sale.